The Sandy Seed Library, partnering with AntFarm, will host their first ever SEED SWAP to provide the opportunity to exchange non-GMO, non-hybrid heritage varieties of vegetable and flower seeds.
Sandy’s very first Seed Swap is Saturday January 27th, from 11am to 2pm at the AntFarm Cafe– 39140 Proctor Blvd, Sandy, OR. This will be in the back conference room.
You are welcome to come anytime within the 3-hour period. Here is how it will work:
1. You will sign in at the Welcome table at the entrance to the back room.
2. You can distribute any seed that you are contributing to the swap. Look around the room to find the signs for the type of seed you are bringing. Please be sure that your donations are very well marked and have all the information that people will need in order to grow your seeds; including notations as to if the seed is hybrid, GMO, organic, open-pollinated, etc.
3. In the middle of the room will be a table of supplies (pens and empty seed packets).
4. You will “shop” for seeds. We recommend taking 2-3 seeds for each plant that you intend to grow this season.
5. You will package your chosen seeds and mark your seed packets with the information you need to grow your plants. There will be yellow dot stickers that you can add to your package to indicate if your seed is hybrid. Remember that hybrids will not remain true to the parent, so you will not want to save any seed from your hybrid plants for next season.
We will have several volunteers on hand if you have any questions, including some Master Gardeners.
We encourage you to chat with other gardeners and compare growing tips. Stephanie Stuart, from the Oregon Food Bank, will be handing out recipes and samples of a veggie quiche. You can enjoy music by Sharon Sandgren & Friends, and purchase treats from the AntFarm Cafe. Most importantly — HAVE FUN!!
Seedy Saturday is an heirloom seed exchange held the last Saturday in January.
For more information, contact Susie Jenkins of the Sandy Library at 503-668-5537 or email@example.com