If you’ve started a swap and would like to be included in my OTHER SWAPS link, please read the information under the ABOUT SWAPS page, Frequently Asked Questions, What To Expect, and Start a FREE Swap. Then send me:
1. Your name and a contact email where the public can reach you
2. What your swap will feature
3. Location address of your swap
4. If your swap is ongoing, the day and time of your swap.
5. A promise that your swap will be FREE, with no admission charge, no strings attached, and that all remainders will be given away for free or to organizations that will not sell them but will give them away. (If possible, the name and website of the non-profit you are donating to so we can give them a plug as well)
6. Send the above information to: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have other questions, or are from the media and want to contact Barb Hughes, email: email@example.com.
I started free swapping in 2005 as a volunteer swap hostess, then founded the Swap Positive Network in February 2011. I enjoy de-cluttering my home and hunting for treasure with like-minded thrifty kind people! My free swap philosophy has developed over the years. Free swaps are helpful to create community, champion sustainability, and make a positive difference in many ways, including:
- Free Swaps keep usable items out of landfills!
- Free Swaps allow women to play. Women oftentimes spend time/energy primarily on others. I wanted to provide a place where kind women could pamper themselves and play in a safe, fun, environment…while multi-tasking freeing their closets of clutter, meeting like-minded thrifty people, and getting ‘new-to-you’ treats all at the same time! This concept has expanded to kind men, teens, and children as well.
- Free Swaps allow all people to enter empowered and leave enriched. Most of us have something we aren’t using, and with everyone invested in giving, we all participate in free frugal fun!
- Since remainders are donated to organizations that give them away (not sell them), everyone who participates is a philanthropist, and those who have nothing receive in a thoughtful way through these organizations.
- Free Swapping allows businesses and organizations an opportunity to create mutual partnerships, improving our community in tangible ways. For example, People’s Food Co-op allows free swaps in their upstairs meeting room. Afterwards swappers can conveniently purchase a few needed items, thus supporting the store. Remainders are donated to a non-profit who gives them away so additional people can play/enjoy them. Every one wins!
- Many friendships have been built through Swap Positive events.
- Those who try their hand at hosting develop leadership skills. The Swap Positive site has instructions on how to start a free swap, I offer to post their swaps that follow our simple friendly guidelines for free on the website, and many swap hostesses are willing to lend support and advice to new hosts/hostesses.
After Tokyo TV asked to film Swap Positive this past winter, I learned that we’ve got great SEO. Results show that since Swap Positive is currently a free wordpress site, it only gives some SEO data…but it’s excellent data – the kind that Advertisers LIKE A LOT:
1. Very consistent views
2. Very “Sticky” views – people come to the site and stay/look around.
As of spring 2019, I’m seeking business and individual partnerships to expand Swap Positive from a ‘hobby’ site to become self-supporting, with the goal of expanding our Swap Positive fun nationally and even internationally, while upholding the Swap Positive mission to keep it free for all swappers.
If you’re the decision maker for a forward thinking company who wants to partner with Swap Positive to expand the free frugal fun, benefit your business through increased foot traffic, help us build a site so you can advertise and take advantage of our data reach, supercharge your recycling/sustainability and community outreach goals, all while having fun – let’s work together! If you’re a tech company willing to invest/ partner with me to upgrade this free site to a commercial site, you can have first dibs at advertising on the site as trade. Other partners wanting to be involved can work out a similar support for trade in online advertising to support and grow the platform, and possibly in the future add a Patreon account with added incentives, coupons, and fun activities for die-hard individual swappers who want to have MORE fun while making a positive difference, too! Please contact me and we can have tea and discuss possibilities.
Also, if you are a business, feel free to check out the Hughes/Taylor Company audio production business site if your business needs a voice for commercial projects (online, traditional media, message on hold, etc.). Hughes/Taylor Company