If you’ve started a swap and would like to be included in my OTHER SWAPS link, please read the information under the ABOUT SWAPS page, Frequently Asked Questions, What To Expect, and Start a FREE Swap. Then send me:
1. Your name and a contact email where the public can reach you
2. What your swap will feature
3. Location address of your swap
4. If your swap is ongoing, the day and time of your swap.
5. A promise that your swap will be FREE, with no admission charge, no strings attached, and that all remainders will be given away for free or to organizations that will not sell them but will give them away. (If possible, the name and website of the non-profit you are donating to so we can give them a plug as well)
6. Send the above information to: email@example.com
If you have other questions, or are from the media and want to contact Barb Hughes, email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
I started free swapping in 2005 as a volunteer swap hostess, then founded the Swap Positive Network in February 2011. I enjoy de-cluttering my home and hunting for treasure with like-minded thrifty kind people! My free swap philosophy has developed over the years. Free swaps are helpful to create community, champion sustainability, and make a positive difference in many ways, including:
- Free Swaps keep usable items out of landfills!
- Free Swaps allow women to play. Women oftentimes spend time/energy primarily on others. I wanted to provide a place where kind women could pamper themselves and play in a safe, fun, environment…while multi-tasking freeing their closets of clutter, meeting like-minded thrifty people, and getting ‘new-to-you’ treats all at the same time! This concept has expanded to kind men, teens, and children as well.
- Free Swaps allow all people to enter empowered and leave enriched. Most of us have something we aren’t using, and with everyone invested in giving, we all participate in free frugal fun!
- Since remainders are donated to organizations that give them away (not sell them), everyone who participates is a philanthropist, and those who have nothing receive in a thoughtful way through these organizations.
- Free Swapping allows businesses and organizations an opportunity to create mutual partnerships, improving our community in tangible ways. For example, People’s Food Co-op allows free swaps in their upstairs meeting room. Afterwards swappers can conveniently purchase a few needed items, thus supporting the store. Remainders are donated to a non-profit who gives them away so additional people can play/enjoy them. Everyone wins!
- Many friendships have been built through Swap Positive events.
- Those who try their hand at hosting develop leadership skills. The Swap Positive site has instructions on how to start a free swap, I offer to post their swaps that follow our simple friendly guidelines for free on the website, and many swap hostesses are willing to lend support and advice to new hosts/hostesses.
FUTURE STRETCH GOALS
When Tokyo TV asked to film Swap Positive this past winter, I learned we’ve got great SEO. Since Swap Positive is on a free wordpress site, we can’t access all the data…but what we can see, it’s the kind that Advertisers LIKE A LOT:
1. Very consistent views
2. Very “Sticky” views – people come to the site and stay/look around.
I’ll be blunt. I’m seeking business and individual partnerships to expand Swap Positive from my ‘hobby’ site to become self-supporting, while upholding the Swap Positive mission to keep it free entry and play for all participating (ie people bringing things to swap) swappers.
Contact me at email@example.com if you’ve got the business savvy to help make this happen. I’d like partners to expand the free frugal fun, benefit businesses through increased foot traffic, and I need help to build a site to better include involvement from stake holding advertisers, supercharge recycling/sustainability and community outreach goals, all while having fun! Let’s work together!
If you’re an individual or tech company willing to invest/ partner with me to upgrade my free site to become a commercial site, you can have first dibs at advertising on the site as trade. Other partners can work out a similar trade in online advertising to support and grow the platform. I’d also like help to create/add a Patreon account, and include incentives, coupons, and fun extras for individual swappers who want to support what we are doing making a positive difference!
On another note, If you are a business in need of voiceover, check out my audio production company, the Hughes/Taylor Company (online, traditional media, message on hold, etc.). Hughes/Taylor Company