Also please check out Frequently Asked Questions.
FREE SWAP RULES (in a nutshell):
By coming to Free Swaps, you agree to the following Free Swap Rules:
1. Only bring clean items in good condition (in the correct sizes if applicable).
2. Do not take anything before the swap coordinator says “go”.
3. Be kind and generous to other swappers and the swap coordinators. Don’t take stuff you will not personally use or give as gifts.
4. You agree that you WILL NOT SELL ANYTHING that you received at any Free Swap(s).
5. Free Swaps are UNIQUE! If you attend Free Swaps you are agreeing to abide by the Free Swap Mission/goals. If you feel the above rules are unreasonable, do not attend.
–Your participation is your agreement to follow Free Swap rules.–
1. Free Swaps are UNIQUE! Coordinators volunteer their time for free. Venues donate their location for free. Swappers bring clean items in good condition for free, and in return find ‘new’ items for themselves or to give as gifts. Remainders are donated to organizations and individuals who will GIVE them away, not sell them. No money changes hands. Everyone gets to play with kind, generous, thrifty, sustainability-minded people.
2. Bring only CLEAN items in good condition (no obvious rips, stains, no broken or missing zippers, no pant legs without the pants) in the sizes stated for that particular swap. If it is a stuff or gift swap, bring only stuff/gifts and save the sized clothing for a clothing swap. Please leave kids at home unless they are specifically invited, for the safety and enjoyment of all.
3. Do NOT take anything before the swap coordinator says ‘go’. We all start at the same time so everyone has the same opportunities. If you see someone take something before the swap begins, please kindly remind them to put the item back until the swap begins. If the thrill of the chase and all that wonderful free stuff brings you to a panic/greed mode – slow down, take a deep breath, and know that there is plenty for everyone – including you! And just like in a retail store, sometimes you’ll find a lot you like, sometimes a little. Enjoy watching the thrill as everyone gets things they need, and come back next time to see what treasures are in store for you.
4. Be kind to the swap coordinators – they are donating their time, energy, organizational skills, data/web skills, correspondence, and coordinating abilities for free. By coming to free swaps you are part of our team – if you bring an extra sack for remainders, or stay after for a few minutes to help clean up, you are tangibly saying ‘thank you’ and helping to keep free swaps going. If two people want the same item, the person with less gets the item. Free Swaps are kinda like a potluck – everyone brings something(s) and leaves full and happy. If you find that you complain instead of being grateful, Free Swaps are not the place for you.
5. By being here, you agree that you WILL NOT SELL ANYTHING that you received for free at any Free Swap(s). If your goal is to sell things, there are plenty of other places to get them. Free Swaps are NOT one of those places. To learn more about what Free Swaps ARE, click here.
6. If you attend Free Swaps, you are agreeing to abide by the Free Swap Rules. No re-sellers, ebay sellers, etc, are invited to our swaps. Re-sellers, hoarders, and factious people will be asked to leave. Free Swaps are for the fun, entertainment, enjoyment, and good Karma of people who understand and appreciate the giving spirit of ‘free’:) People who come to free swaps have found that as they have given freely of what they no longer need, they have received freely cool new stuff! Plus, remainders are donated to organizations that will give them away for free, so everyone is a philanthropist!
To see Free Swaps in action, check out these videos!
The fine print: Because swap coordinators are volunteers donating their time and energy, they have every right to feel safe. If any person makes them feel uncomfortable, threatens them, complains incessantly, refuses to follow the rules, or in any way causes the swap coordinator grief, she/he has the right to ban them from her/his swap.