With our sizes, weights, and tastes changing – seemingly weekly at times – wouldn’t it be nice to be able to trade in clothes that don’t fit us anymore and get clothes that do? Absolutely free?
It’s already being done – women’s clothing/shoes/accessories swaps, children’s clothing and toy swaps, gift swaps, Family clothing swaps for men women and kids, Maternity swaps, stuff swaps and more. It’s fun, it’s eco-friendly, it’s run by volunteers like you, and it’s FREE!
Under the “About Swaps” page you’ll see a menu that lists “Free Swap Rules“, “Frequently Asked Questions” and “What To Expect“. Reading these will allow swaps to continue to run smoothly. There’s also a link to learn how you can “start a FREE swap” in the size/category that YOU want!
The “Other Swaps” page is a list of other available swaps by size and location, so all your friends can start swapping, too.
“The NEXT Swap!” gives the very latest information about upcoming swaps at the Evergreen Community Church (formerly PCL Church) in the NE Portland location, and the Home Page gives ALL the free swaps that I know about in our area.
If you are looking for a swap in a particular size or location, check to the right and click on the Category or Tag location link you are interested in to see all the swaps in that category or location.
This blog is looking to publicize all Free Swaps that fit our criteria. If you have a free swap that isn’t listed yet (and your free swap abides by our free swap rules) please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org. For some great videos on Swap Positive free swaps, check out This Clothing Swap video and this Stuff Swap video.
If you are from the media, contact me: email@example.com
Free Swap Rules
1. Free Swaps are UNIQUE! Coordinators volunteer their time for free. Venues donate their location for free. Swappers bring clean items in good condition for free, and in return find ‘new’ items for themselves or to give as gifts. Remainders are donated to organizations and individuals who will GIVE them away, not sell them. If you attend a free swap you agree that you will not sell anything you get at a free swap, but if you get it for free, you give it for free – No money changes hands. That is the mission of Free Swaps. Everyone gets to play with kind, generous, thrifty, sustainability-minded people.
2. Bring only CLEAN items in good condition (no obvious rips, stains, no broken or missing zippers, no pant legs without the pants). If it is a clothing swap, only bring WEARABLE items in the sizes stated for that particular swap. If it is a stuff or gift swap, bring stuff/gifts…and only wearables that are one-size-fits-most, such as hats, scarves, etc. Offer your non-swap-appropriate items (ie ripped and stained items) on freecycle.org.
3. Do NOT take anything before the swap coordinator says ‘go’. We all start at the same time so everyone has the same opportunities. If you see someone take something before the swap begins, please kindly alert/remind them of the Free Swap Rules/What to Expect to put the item back until the swap begins. Swaps are filled with generous kind people. If the thrill of the chase and all that wonderful free stuff for the taking brings you to a panic/greed mode – slow down, take a deep breath, and know that there is plenty for everyone – including you! And just like in a retail store, sometimes you find a lot that you like, sometimes a little. So please don’t worry to the swap coordinator if all of your dreams didn’t come true this time. Be thankful watching the thrill as others get things they need, and come back with an open heart next time to see what treasures are in store for you. It’s all good:)
4. Be kind and generous to those at the swap. Don’t take stuff you will not personally use or give as gifts. If two people want the same item, the person who has less gets the item.
5. By being here, you agree that you WILL NOT SELL ANYTHING that you received for free at any Free Swap(s). If your goal is to sell things, there are plenty of other places to get them. Free Swaps are NOT one of those places. To learn more about what Free Swaps ARE, click here.
6. If you attend Free Swaps, you are agreeing to abide by the Free Swap Rules above. Generous, kind people are welcome at Free Swaps. Re-sellers, hoarders, and factious people will be asked to leave so the rest of us can play in peace. Thanks for being part of our Free Frugal Fun!