Enjoy a Useful Goods Exchange & Family Swap in Beaverton! Combine spring-cleaning, recycling, and fun – It’s an upscale FREE garage sale! Your outgrown stuff will be loved by someone else, your house will be less cluttered, you’ll find new-to-you items you CAN use…plus, you’ll be helping a positive organization in our community! Think of the saving$, recycling, and good karma flowing around:)
Since all items will be placed on the floor and our venue has beautiful hardwood floors, all items need to be free of dirt, grease, spider webs, etc. Since we are volunteers and don’t have money to pay for a dumpster, all items must be something others would want – no junk. Items must be small enoughto fit in the backseat of a car (no large furniture, but a clean bike or bedside stand would be O.K.).
Please, no poisons, paints or hazardous materials.
Remainders will be donated to YMCA family resource center who will give them to families in our community – so your usable items keep on giving!
What: Stuff and all size family clothing swap
Where: Beaverton Hoop YMCA 9685 SW Harvest Court Beaverton OR 97005
When: April 27th 2013, at 10am as part of our Healthy Kids day event
If you’d like to attend or would like more information, please email Vickey Foster at firstname.lastname@example.org
This swap is FREE, no admission charge, no strings attached, and all remainders will be given away for free or to organizations that will not sell them but will give them away. All items will be donated to our family resource center which helps families in need.
HOW IT WORKS:
You come in and put your stuff in rows on the gym floor, with an aisle cleared down the middle so we all can walk freely. We’ll have signs on the floor in rows that say:
1. TOYS AND GAMES: this might include new and lightly used dolls, stuffed animals, gag gifts, toys, games (including board games, puzzles, etc.) with all the pieces still intact.
2. MOVIES, BOOKS, CD’S DVD’S: bring books in good condition, music on CD, DVD and video movies that are still in great working order. Computer games can go in the techie area.
3. CRAFTS, FABRIC, ACCESSORIES: items to bring include scrap-booking, beading, knitting, sewing patterns and clean fabric, the gift towels that were the wrong color for your décor, clothing accessories that are one-size-fits-most such as scarves and hats.
4. HOUSEHOLD AND HOLIDAY: items might include dishes, potholders, coasters, fondue sets, non-expired and non-opened food items, blenders, bath salts, table lamps, Seasonal items and decorations. Perfume used once, lotion used once (i.e. still looks new – isn’t half full and doesn’t have gunk running down the side of the bottle.) Please no mattresses or large unwashable pillows.
5. TOOLS, TECHNOLOGY, GARDEN, PETS: Clean ratchet set, clean sports equipment, clean bicycles/tricycles in great shape, computers, cameras, gaming systems, computer games, clean garden pots and tools, viable seeds, clean pet dishes and toys, car stuff. If in doubt, please bring/put your item on plastic or in a container.
6. BREAKABLES AND COLLECTIBLES: jewelry, antiques, fancy glassware, collectibles, toys that are too delicate to be in the official toy area, candy dishes. All those knick-knacks that keep piling up – get rid of them here!
7. CLOTHES – these will be on tables and broken up by gender and size all sizes are welcome!
If you have items you’re not sure where they go, just put them in a row that in some way makes reasonable sense…or put them in a row that isn’t too crowded.
After you’ve unloaded your stuff, stand against the wall and visit while you wait for the swap to start. Please don’t wander around in the middle – there will be a LOT of people needing that space to put their stuff out, and the quicker they can, the quicker we can start the swap. However, if you are through putting your stuff out, and you see someone who needs help putting their stuff out, feel free to offer your services to help them.
NO PRE-SWAPPING. Experienced swappers know this, but for the newbies – No picking up stuff or scooting it into your bag/box beforehand! We want this to be fair for everyone. At 2pm or thereabouts, the swap coordinator or emcee will welcome everyone and shortly thereafter will say “Go”. Be kind and courteous – if two people want the same item, the person who has the least gets the item. (At a Holiday Gift Swap, a mom with many kids chose a pile of puzzles for them. A second mom with one kid kindly asked if she could have one of the puzzles, and the first mom gladly shared. THAT is the spirit of free swaps!)
Stuff in the middle of the gym floor in rows is free for the taking. Stuff in boxes/bags/sacks next to the wall belongs to someone.
Bring your own boxes/bags to cart your new stuff home in. Some people bring rolling suitcases.
The remainders will be picked up by a representative of The YMCA family resource center, and be given to local families so they can have fun, too. So you are being a philanthropist and helping others in a practical way while having a lot of fun in the process!
It’s Free Frugal Fun! By coming to Free Swaps, you agree to the following Free Swap Rules:
1. No pre-swapping, gathering piles, or taking stuff before we officially start.
2. Only kind and considerate people, if two or more people want the same item, and you can’t work it out by talking, the person who has the least number of items gets it.
3. All items brought must be clean, complete, and in working order. No broken or missing pieces. Nothing greasy or dirty. No volatile or toxic chemicals paints or products. No junk. Nothing too large to fit into the backseat of a car. No mattresses or pillows.
4. No resellers/eBay/etc. The mission behind free swaps is “free stuff forever”, so if you get something home and decide you don’t want it, we ask that you give it away.
If you’d like to attend or would like more information, please email Vickey Foster at email@example.com Thanks for being a part of the FREE swap community!