If you’re already on the RSVP list, this Saturday is the Holiday Gift and Toy Swap in NE Portland! Stuff and Gift swaps happen twice a year at this location – once in December, once around earth day in April. This is a reminder to take one more search around your house for items to bring this Saturday. It’s free frugal fun, home de-cluttering, visiting with like-minded people, holiday shopping, and holiday gift-giving wrapped-up-in-one…talk about multi-tasking:)
WHAT TO BRING:
Search your house, garage, and storage for all the gift-able items you don’t need/want/love anymore. Nothing too big to fit in the backseat of a car, and nothing that can’t be machine washed at home (ie no mattresses, large furniture, couch pillows etc.):
1. TOYS AND GAMES: Outgrown but still in great shape new and lightly used dolls, stuffed animals, gag gifts, toys, games (including board games, puzzles, etc.) with all the pieces still intact.
2. MOVIES, BOOKS, CD’S DVD’S: Books in good condition that you are finished reading, music on CD, DVD and video movies that are still in great working order. Computer games can go in the techie area if the book area is crowded.
3. CRAFTS, FABRIC, ACCESSORIES: Scrap-booking, beading, knitting, sewing patterns and clean fabric, the gift towels that were the wrong color for your décor, holiday clothing accessories that are one-size-fits-most such as scarves, mittens, gloves, and hats. If an outfit is specifically holiday related (ie Christmas sweater, holiday socks, Santa necktie) you can bring them. Please save everyday clothes for a clothing swap or we won’t have room for anything else!
4. HOLIDAY AND HOUSEHOLD: Seasonal decorations, stocking stuffers, blender, dishes, potholders, coasters, fondue set, non-expired and non-opened holiday food items, table lamps. Would you give it as a gift? – then bring it:)
5. TOOLS, TECHNOLOGY, GARDEN, PETS: Clean ratchet set, clean sports equipment, clean bicycles/tricycles in great shape, computers, cameras, office supplies, gaming systems, computer games, clean garden pots and tools, viable seeds, clean pet dishes and toys.
6. BREAKABLES AND COLLECTIBLES: jewelry, antiques, fancy glassware, collectibles, candy dishes, that collectible lego pirate ship, perfume used once, lotion used once (ie still looks new – isn’t half full and doesn’t have gunk running down the side of the bottle).
Bring anything that would be considered giftable. It doesn’t have to be *brand new* (Unless it’s a packaged food item – no one wants to get a half-eaten jar of jam), but before you bring it make sure it has all the pieces, is clean, and is in working order. Since the gym is carpeted and we don’t have a vacuum, that means no grease, dirt, or anything that would be difficult to clean up (no packing peanuts or tiny foam balls either!) If you’re bringing outdoor toys like bikes or ride-on toys, make sure they have no dirt/spiderwebs/mud. If you’re bringing garden items or power tools, make sure they are cleaned (and if they are a tool that has lubrication, make sure it’s in a plastic-lined box when you lay it out.)
As for other rumored goodies, I heard one of the helpers mention her lego- building son might be ready to give up some of his completed lego projects (I think they were pirate ships?) Not sure if those will be in the toy area or the collectible area, but if you’ve got a lego fan on your Christmas list, that ought to be fun…if he in fact decides to part with them. In the past we’ve had such interesting items as a telescope, musical instruments, collectible dolls, and more. You just never know what will be at a Stuff and Gift swap! (If there is an item(s) that a LOT of people want, we’ll play a game before the swap and let everyone interested have a chance to win.) Come with kindness and curiosity, and be prepared to play.
This particular Free Holiday Gift and Toy Swap is full due to venue space contraints. However, if you want to start/host a holiday or stuff swap, here’s how. Just let me know the details and I’ll post it here on Swap Positive. We are all volunteers and do this for fun. Since we don’t get paid, we ask that NO money changes hands. If you get it for free, then you give it away for free (no re-selling anything you get for free at a Free Swap.) If you want to know more about why free swaps are so unique, look here. Also, here are the free swap rules, and information about this particular swap.