The location is at 651 SE 197th Ave Portland, OR 97233 in the Red building on the West side of the street. Please park on the street as the parking lot is for residents only.
Its fairly simple to swap you just bring your clean, in good condition, clothes pre-sorted by size, put them in the piles they belong to before the swap starts and then when the coordinator says its time to swap you go through the piles of clothes you need. You can bring as little or as much to the swap as you want. When the swap is over if your clothes are still there and you would like to get them back you can do so. Any leftover clothes get donated to local clothing closets for low-income families.
The reason we ask that all clothes be washed and in good condition (ie no rips/missing buttons etc.) before bringing them is two fold: 1. so people with allergies at the swap aren’t sneezing and miserable and 2. the remainders are immediately donated, and it would be rude to donate musty or non-wearable clothing to others. Thanks for being the considerate swappers that you are:)
The idea behind Gresham Swap is to offer and get free clothes, forever. We are a free swap, not a swap meet. No money changes hands with these clothes ~ even if you get them home and decide they aren’t quite ‘you’, we ask that you GIVE them away to someone, not sell them. That is the mission of Swap Positive.
1. Wash all items before bringing to the swap. Check the pockets for tissues, gum, and money.
2. We are a clothing swap, not fabric swap, so the bottoms of pant legs or sweaters with a sleeve missing are not usable for us regular people. Also, please no food items. Save the wonderful other household stuff for our December gift swap or April stuff swap…unless you will pack it out when you leave so we don’t need to find a home for it.
3. People who’ve been to swaps before know this, but thought I’d bring it up for newbies…No cheating! No taking, or hiding, or stuffing things into your sack before we officially start! It only makes it fair for all of us.
4. Wear a swim suit or spandex workout clothes under your street clothes when you swap. Try stuff on before you take it home, we also have a bathroom for privacy if needed. See how great you look in a mirror. If it doesn’t fit, throw it back into the pile so someone else can see if it fits them.
5. It’s fun to see people smile as they try on something you brought, or see the encouragement of ‘that looks great on you’ and ‘here are some jeans your size’. You’ll be able to try new fashions you’d never dream to try on in a store!
6. All remainders will be donated to a non-profit that will give the items away for FREE:)
If this is your first swap, Here’s how a Swap works…
Children’s: Shoes, blankets, accessories, toys and furniture will be in a seaparate pile.
Women’s: Shoes, purses, accessories, and jewelry will be in a separate pile.
All of the clothes will be kept in bags while we wait. Shoes and accessories can go into a separate pile…but no pre-swapping (taking things before we start) please. Clothing will be separated by sizes into piles on the floor/tables. After you empty your bags, please step back until everything is out and ready. Things in the middle of the room in piles are free. Items in little piles around the room, against the walls in bags, or on chairs are someones’ stash.
When everything is in piles, the swap coordinator will say, “Go!” And we’ll all start at the same time. That way everyone has the same opportunity to find new clothes.
Take what looks good to you, gather it into your pile, then try them on. Mirrors and a bathroom are available. If they aren’t quite ‘you’, throw them back into the correct pile for someone else to enjoy.
Please support our mission by enjoying the swap as a place to get free stuff, and if you part with your new-to-you swap items, we ask that YOU do it in a free way too!
Stay updated with future swaps by finding us on Facebook at Gresham Swap!