MEDIUM CLOTHING SWAP Saturday October 8th 2011
(If you have an extra grocery size paper bag or garbage size plastic bag you could donate for remainders, I would really appreciate it:)
From Indian Summer to the beginning cold nip of October, come enjoy some free size 6-12 medium women clothes swapping and costume swapping! Dig through your closet, drawers and storage, wash things you no longer love/wear/need and bring them- as well as jewelry, bags, shoes, and other accessories- to the swap!
For October only, if you also want to bring Halloween costume items to swap we’ll have a separate section for costumes and accessories -most likely by the accessories area. That way you can trade in that outgrown spiderman costume (adult or child) and maybe pick up a set of vampire teeth and a black cape:). Please keep your costumes and accessories in a separate bag from your Women’s medium sized clothes. NO children at this swap – adult women and teens that are size medium only please. We don’t want little ones being unsafe should there be tubes of colored make up, or vampire teeth they might ‘try on’ (gross and unsanitary), or halloween decorations that could be broken etc.
Since the PTA clothing closet probably doesn’t have any need for halloween costumes or accessories, Please let me know if YOU would be willing to box up and take any Halloween-type remainders home with you to give away to a group/school/theater/etc. – and a promise that the group receiving the items will not sell them, but will either use them or give them away for free. That’s the mission of Free Swaps:)
What: size 6-12 medium women’s FREE clothing swap;
When: Saturday October 8th, 2pm
Where: Presbyterian Church of Laurelhurst (in the gym) 935 N.E. 33rd Avenue. Portland OR 97232 503-232-9129
Directions: two blocks south of Sandy Blvd on 33rd (the west fork in the road), at Pacific Street, in a modern red brick building. There is a parking lot behind the church. Early arrivers will get a parking lot space, if you’re late you might want to park on the street instead. The gym is across from the playground. There will be signs.
What to bring: Bring only CLEAN womens size 6-12 clothes and junior/petite equivalents – thanks for washing up everything you bring:). Also bring any accessories, shoes, purses, and other wearable items. Bring bags to take your new clothes home with you (some women bring rolling suitcases).
Jackee Duvall of the PTA clothing closet will pick up the remainders for teens in our school system. If you’re concerned that elastic waist pants or non-fashionable clothing might make it into the remainder pile, remember that kids with certain needs might prefer elastic waists, and some kids are more into retro than into today’s styles. If you bring it, and it is clean and in good condition, it can be used:) The reason we ask that all clothes be washed before bringing them is two fold: 1. so people with allergies at the swap aren’t sneezing and miserable and 2. the remainders are immediately donated, and it would be rude to donate musty or non-wearble clothing to others. Thanks for being the considerate women that you are:)
The idea behind Swap Positive is to offer and get free clothes, forever.
No money changes hands with these clothes ~ even if you get them home and decide they aren’t quite ‘you’, we ask that you GIVE them away to someone. That is the mission of Swap Positive.
1. Wash all items before bringing to the swap. Check the pockets for tissues, gum, and money.
2. We are a clothing swap, not fabric swap, so the bottoms of pant legs or sweaters with a sleeve missing are not usable for us regular people. Also, please no food items. Save the wonderful other household stuff for our December gift swap or April stuff swap…unless you will pack it out when you leave so we don’t need to find a home for it.
3. People who’ve been to swaps before know this, but thought I’d bring it up for newbies…No cheating! No taking, or hiding, or stuffing things into your sack before we officially start! It only makes it fair for all of us.
4. Wear a swim suit or spandex workout clothes under your street clothes when you swap. Try stuff on before you take it home. See how great you look in a mirror (we’ll have at least 4 available for you). If it doesn’t fit, throw it back into the pile so someone else can see if it fits them.
5. It’s fun to see people smile as they try on something you brought, or see the encouragement of ‘that looks great on you’ and ‘here are some jeans your size’. You’ll be able to try new fashions you’d never dream to try on in a store, and it’s all because GIRLS JUST WANNA HAVE FUN!
6. All remainders will be donated to a non-profit that will give the items away for FREE:)
7. Please do NOT bring: children’s clothes, clothes that are larger than women’s size 12, clothes that are ripped/stained/dirty/smelly/not wearable. Go to https://swappositive.wordpress.com/other-swaps/ to find a children’s clothing swap, large clothing swap, or all-size swap venue. Please take your non 6-12 clothes to an appropriate venue. Thanks for your understanding.
If this is your first swap, Here’s how a Swap works…
Shoes, purses, accessories, and jewelry will be in a separate pile.
All of the clothes will be kept in bags while we wait. Shoes and accessories can go into a separate pile…but no pre-swapping please. When everyone is present, the swap coordinator will give the go-ahead and we’ll empty bags into rows on the floor. After you empty your bags, please step back until everything is out and ready. Things in the middle of the room in rows are free. Items in little piles around the room, against the walls in bags, or on chairs are someones’ stash.
When everything is in rows, the swap coordinator will say, “Go!” And we’ll all start at the same time. That way everyone has the same opportunity to find new clothes.
Take what looks good to you, gather it into your pile, then try them on. Mirrors are available. If they aren’t quite ‘you’, throw them back into the pile for someone else to enjoy.
Please support our mission by enjoying the swap as a place to get free stuff, and if you part with your new-to-you swap items, we ask that YOU do it in a free way too!