Saturday July 7th is the Gresham Family Swap – for all sizes of women, men, and kids – bring the whole family, your neighbors, your friends!
The children’s swap starts at 1pm you can start arriving as early as 12:45.
The Women’s and men’s swap starts at 2pm.
The location is at 651 SE 197th Ave Portland, OR 97233. It is in the Red building on the West side of the street, please park on the street as the parking lot is for residents only. You can also take Tri-met! Ruby Junction max station is just a block away and the stark/burnside #20 bus is just 2 blocks away.
Just a friendly reminder to everyone please make sure your clothes are washed and sorted by sizes. Also re-check the condition of your clothes to make sure they are still usable. I will have piles sorted by size and the swap runs much more smoothly when you come with your clothes presorted.
Bring only CLEAN and wearable clothes sized appropriate to the swap you are attending. Also bring any accessories, shoes, purses, etc. For the children’s swap you can also bring toys, stuffed animals and baby furniture. Bring bags/boxes to take your new clothes home with you.
The reason we ask that all clothes be washed and in good condition (ie: no rips/missing buttons etc.) before bringing them is two fold:
1. so people with allergies at the swap aren’t sneezing and miserable and
2. the remainders are immediately donated, and it would be rude to donate musty or non-wearable clothing to others. Thanks for being the considerate women and men that you are:)
The idea behind Gresham Swap is to offer and get free clothes, forever. We are a free swap, not a swap meet. No money changes hands with these clothes ~ even if you get them home and decide they aren’t quite ‘you’, we ask that you GIVE them away to someone, not sell them.
1. Wash all items before bringing to the swap. Check the pockets for tissues, gum, and money.
2. We are a clothing swap, not fabric swap, so the bottoms of pant legs or sweaters with a sleeve missing are not usable for us regular people. Also, please no food items.
3. People who’ve been to swaps before know this, but thought I’d bring it up for newbies…No cheating! No taking, or hiding, or stuffing things into your sack before we officially start! It only makes it fair for all of us.
4. Wear a swim suit or spandex workout clothes under your street clothes when you swap. Try stuff on before you take it home, we also have a bathroom for privacy if needed. See how great you look in a mirror. If it doesn’t fit, throw it back into the pile so someone else can see if it fits them.
5. It’s fun to see people smile as they try on something you brought, or see the encouragement of ‘that looks great on you’ and ‘here are some jeans your size’. You’ll be able to try new fashions you’d never dream to try on in a store, and it’s all because GIRLS JUST WANNA HAVE FUN!
6. All remainders will be donated to a non-profit that will give the items away for FREE:)
If this is your first swap, Here’s how a Swap works…
Children’s: Shoes, blankets, accessories, toys and furniture will be in a separate pile and swapped at a separate time.
Adults: Shoes, purses, accessories, and jewelry will be in a separate pile and swapped at a separate time.
All of the clothes will be kept in bags while we wait. Shoes and accessories can go into a separate pile…but no pre-swapping (taking things before we start) please. Clothing will be separated by sizes into piles on the floor. After you empty your bags, please step back until everything is out and ready. Things in the middle of the room in piles are free. Items in little piles around the room, against the walls in bags, or on chairs are someones’ stash.
When everything is in piles, the swap coordinator will say, “Go!” And we’ll all start at the same time. That way everyone has the same opportunity to find new clothes.
Take what looks good to you, gather it into your pile, then try them on. Mirrors and a bathroom are available. If they aren’t quite ‘you’, throw them back into the correct pile for someone else to enjoy.
Please support our mission by enjoying the swap as a place to get free stuff, and if you part with your new-to-you swap items, we ask that YOU do it in a free way too!